Saturday, September 1, 2007

I Shouldn't Have Grown Up


Ivry and Haim took off for an evening stroll most likely to the synagogue while I sit next to the yellow flowers, which a kind neighbor passed on after hearing we were just one day in Squirrel Hill, Pittsburgh. It is the only real bright thing in this terribly empty apartment.


Exactly this time last year, I was contemplating new ideas for starting the school year not realizing I would end up taking a sabbatical that would bring me in touch with my roots and my writing. Now, we're taking it one step at a time and however right it is to be a mommy these days, and switch over to writing shoes, I've put the teaching bag aside and quietly, I am delving into the writing world.


With fortitude, a bit of fear, and some longing, I still write my way through. It's one thing to be saying I want to write, it's another thing to come all the way over here to write. (well, that's not the only reason) I take a break - speak to the nice people we're slowly becoming acquainted with, lunch with the local Rabbi and his family. I exit my shell temporarily, enjoy the unspoiled blue sky, hear the road construction across the street, sometimes pretend that I'm back in Israel in our small niche that now has taken the likeness of global territory.


It's an intimate process and yet, it's something the mind doesn't want to speak of.


I shouldn't have grown up too quickly to believe it might come true one day, but I'll slice each day as it comes, minute by minute - slowly believing this was meant to be.

1 comment:

Scribbit said...

You sound like the kind of person who has a list of goals about your writing. I think that's the only way things get done is with goals.