Wednesday, September 5, 2007

A Red Line of Happiness


Imagine my happiness when I finally made my way to the Carnegie Library in Squirrel Hill yesterday afternoon. It's been years since I claimed my own public spaces; the public library used to be one of them until I began thinking I was good enough for a library. (Yes, I know it sounds weird.) But growing up alongside New York City's overwhelming array of books, made me feel much smaller than I really was.


Turns out that the glass contained edifice was actually one of the most user-friendly public places I've ever been in. First, there were changing stations and bathrooms, making a mother's life infinitely easier. Also, there were many computer work stations for sending work to print. And when I registered for my family library card, I was greeted in the most sincerest of ways. To be expected, I retained my New York City, standoffish mentality only to find that it was simply unnecessary. When the clerk looked at my maiden and married names, together with the New York City driver's license, he looked as if he couldn't make something out.


"What's your married name?" he asked.

"Sasson." I said.

"But I'll have to use the name on the NYC license." he said.


I was not happy about that.


Once, twice, three times I had to remind myself that even in nice friendly places, this was the way it's done and even if he had to use my former name, there were parts of my identity I didn't want on paper, lesser to be using a New York City driver's license.


But he was a nice man and he elected to changed my name to Sasson. At that point, I wanted to cross out all the red lines out of my life, beginning with the teachers who harbored using red pencils leaving me to figure out what mark meant what. For the remainder of the afternoon, I was able to work uninterrupted surrounded by History books excited by what I was writing knowing I was creating my own piece of history.


When I finally let myself take a bathroom break, I was so happy that the red in me wanted to burst out through. And when I finally let myself pass the early childhood and juvenile sections, I saw how inviting, friendly everything was. You don't such clean starts in life so often. I made a point to finish my line of business, get the chapter synopsis in order and get my hands on some of those books.
Each day is about carving a writing life and reaching my goals, which I feel was meant to be and I know that for the time being, I'm in a better place.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I'm glad to see you beginning to find your center again in this new chapter of your life.

And yes, libraries are something they do much better in the US. I had to pay(!) $40 for a one-year membership to my (very small)local library, and it's limited to just 3 books at a time, including children's books!