Sunday, September 2, 2007

Our First Shabbat Weekend

We're still sitting in a relatively bare apartment waiting for our overseas shipment to arrive.Started the crisp Sunday morning explaining to Ivry that today is Sunday and tomorrow is Labor Day and he doesn't go to the gan these two days. He ran to hug me once I had already settled comfortably with the laptop.

The apartment these days looks like we're going to fly again - probably back to Israel, at least that's what I was thinking when we left New York City. And of course September 2nd is here and I am nowhere near a teacher's bag and a classroom full of thirty eight students and exasperated looking teachers and probably students.

I'm on the other side of the world far far away with a cup of coffee, a small notebook for sketching ideas and writing goals and folders full of what I want to write for my book that maybe McGraw Hill will be interested in publishing - that is, if I can ever finish the chapter synopsis.

I have to educate myself constantly while going over broken sidewalks, waiting for traffic lights to change, watching people bag our groceries, deciding from the rows of cream cheese which one to buy, unsure what is the difference between diet and lowfat, or adding up the expenses of our purchases to realize there are only deductions.

The pieces of the puzzle somehow all start to make sense as I get used to the brick walls outside, the huge walk-in closet that contains our stuff, the pink walls of the bathroom that reminds me of my grandmother's apartment in Far-Rockaway in the 80's, storytime in Shenley park that is a both a semblance of community and culture. Then there are the Hassidic couples that remind me of the Jewish holdiays we spent in Queens, the three hairstyling shops on Murray Avenue, or the woman on the first floor who quickly opened her door when Ivry cried because the door closed abruptly on his poor little hand.

I have to educate myself emotionally when I see the trans-Atlantic move isn't all that bad despite the fact that I received a 'C' for transitions. The kind Rabbi Wasserman of Sha'aeri Torah congregation received many emails from kind souls offering to give us furniture. We're nowhere near to flying anywhere soon.

And then there's the issue of faith: some days I wake up with it and sometimes I don't. On the days when I do, I admire the Victorian windows and paisley window blinds and on the days I don't, I sweep by the flowers. I keep telling myself: Haim will find a job, I'll finish my book come the end of this year, we'll be settled, we'll be happy.

But the sky's too blue to think too much for a Sunday morning.

5 comments:

Robin said...

From reading this it sounds like you're thinking longer than just a sabbatical?

Pieces of Me said...

Hi,
I'm just trying to take it step by step, day by day.
We'll see what materializes. Too far to think ahead though.

Scribbit said...

Well I wish you all the best for the rest of the year--let's hope that all comes to pass.

Mel said...

Good luck Dorit - will be keeping up with you!

Unknown said...

Hello Dorit,

I hope you had a great Tuesday, and I am hoping you are feeling inspired with your book.

I know it's hard when you have a big project ahead, but I wish you all the best in finding your path to writing success.

I am learning how tough it is to teach and create (that is, to have any energy left over!).

But, I will do it! I have to!

truly,

Sylvia C.