Saturday, September 22, 2007

Some Thoughts on Yom Kippur in Pittsburgh

I leave you with a small poem of this year's Yom Kippur experiences.
Have an easy fast to all those who are fasting, and G'mar Hatima Tova.God bless
.


Against that rabbi's prayer and speech
I concentrate on the forgiven and the last
time I tried to make it and daven without
stepping on the lady's shoes she didn't seem to mind
when I told her I was new in town while she
prayed and looked at me and the last
light I forgot to turn off but it's okay


well, I don't know many people here just the
few who helped me with plates and dishes and
now that I can cook without a problem I can
daven as well isn't it nice to know that without a
former caution but I call the cards now
I'm the mommy and don't know still how to pray
when was the last time I was in a synagogue on Yom Kippur
in the United States I miss my small one inch garden where I
can eat cake and watch the crumbs on his face in the dark
and the kibbutz ladybugs on the leaf while Erick Carle speaks to me
from a 1980 flick

when Grandma told me I couldn't eat and I tried to hold
my tongue and now I just can't stop whenever
my little gingy cries I forget the last ring of the shofar

two handles down I can see the moms parking their
carriages and elegant dresses for service
when it becomes fitting I suppose I'll go down too
when the dark corridor becomes less spooky I'll know
which page to turn and bend my knees to the east or west
oh I forget never got that one figured out perhaps not today
when was the last time I just wanted to eat soup...oh never mind

1 comment:

Jo said...

A fabulous piece, I was right there with you.