Monday, September 10, 2007

Taking it "Bird by Bird"

















In my former post I wrote about Anne Lamot and taking it "bird by bird."





I move slowly - try one little baby step on a time. Literally. Often I spend time mulling over words, sentences, thoughts. The library's a good place for that kind of introverted sort of research. It's a puzzling mystery, how words ever make it to the paper. They prefer to keep to their own microcosmic universe until I decide to let them free. Only lately, this hasn't been happening.





I can't believe I've taken a full year of sabbatical just to prove to myself that I can write a book: it sounds rather important and purposeful but, in reality, it's the hardest thing I've ever done. I'm a bit scared, guilty that I have all these waking hours of day to fill pieces of paper (or an empty computer screen in this case) and while I've unpacked thirty boxes, there are many more little cubicles of years of experience waiting to be opened.





This is the time when I need help. Or maybe just a few words of soul wisdom, or just somebody who's been there before and knows how to simply do good to others. So, I go now to my favorite writer: I have even gone so far as to try and imitate her style. Many writers starting out do. Let's hear it for Anne Lamott who always knows how to comfort a brave yet wavering writer soul in need.





But what I really need is to take my own advice and join a writer's group. Then I will feel better about all this.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I certainly agree about the importance of writer's groups!

They really help nourish a writer's soul.

And, depending on what you are looking for, they can also critique, inspire, inform, and much more.

Good luck to you.
Have you tried meetup.com?
That's where I found my group!
Best wishes!

Sylvia C.

Robin said...

It's Rosh Hashana tomorrow. The perfect time for new beginnings. You will find your rhythm and the words will begin to flow.

Shana tova my friend. May it be a sweet one.

Jo said...

Hi Dorrit, thanks for stopping by my blog. And seeing Robin here tells me how you found me ((SMILE)). What are you writing about? I've just decided to find a writing group too, though heaven knows when I'll squeeze it in. Anyway, I think that you express yourself beautifully.