Sunday, September 9, 2007

Books and Seagulls, a few Reminders, and My Left Foot




All morning long at the Western Penn Hospital, I hoped and prayed the ankle I twisted yesterday evening after missing the step while carrying Ivry's stroller wouldn't be fractured or broken. I've never sprained an ankle and never needed crutches. Until today. I hopped from room to room, from car to door, from the bathroom to Ivry.
In case you haven't noticed, we're right in the middle of unpacking our overseas shipping. There's nothing more comforting than filling up bookshelves with albums and listening to Ivry say, "Ani [I'm] a seagull," but not when your ankle is sprained. Not fun.


I thought a bit about seagulls. I wish I could fly like a seagull instead of propping my ankle with icepacks. It's such a debilitating feeling, reminding me of the post of "Writing in the Dark." This is one of those reminders that we never have that certainty or illusion of control. My mind thinks quicker than my left foot.


Words become lighter than air when I unpack all of Ivry's books and watch him silently turn the pages as if he's confirming the stories asking, "How do you say this in English?" and pointing to a bulldozer, digger. Signs of literacy. How comforting.


I believe in faith and hope and the spirit of being. But when I loose control, watch out. I become afraid and fear becomes my captive.
Two people who have deeply affected my life are no longer alive. I heard Luciano Pavoratti many times and read Madeline L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time a thousand times over. I no longer live in a comforting world.


Just for the record, I'm not such a great mom when I feel debilitated like this and especially when people I've never met personally enter and leave my life like this. Just like a twisted ankle, I become antsy and edgy especially when surrounded by thirty five unopened boxes. Ivry tries to understand my pain, but I am not such a great communicator as I have difficulty understanding these things myself.

Ivry wants to be in his own control flapping his arms, playing leapfrog with my body and I lie lethargic. It is times like these I turn to writing as an open voice hoping I won't feel under siege and turn to hear my prayers for a speedy recovery, for Haim to find a job, for getting through this period.

So I read Anne Lamot's Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith. Every word she writes is faith and spirit. Books can be great friends. I'm glad I got mine. Now, I just need to work on my patience and take it "bird by bird."




1 comment:

Deb said...

I love Anne Lamott. I also loved Joan Didion's "The Year of Magical Thinking." Critics declared it to be rambling nonsense but I followed and understood it as her journey in a foggy maze not an analysis of her arrival. Sometimes critics are too concrete.