Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The First Day

In just one hour exactly, H will be starting his new job orientation. I'm right now in the library drafting the first chapter of my book. It's quite quiet here (as libraries should be) and I'm emerging from my shell. (taking a break)

How far have we all come ? In this little bold moment of thought, I realize that we all three are heart set on beginnings.

There are so many people young and old whom I've never seen. They have their own beginnings too. Each and every time they walk into the library. The first book one pulls off the shelves is a beginning. the baby who cries in the aisles alongside me, is a first (of many) consequences remembering I've been there too.

Then there's the...

1.little girl in a uniform following an adult around watching me as I touch type.
2. adolescent who asks the librarian about Palm Reading - she reads sections in whispers in a very smooth undulating voice, but I can hear every word she is harpering on; she's laughing in between sentences.

They face their beginnings as I do mine as I wonder if Haim got the 64 a to take him to Giant Eagle in Shadyside on time or, am I still a lost cause?

2 comments:

Jo said...

And right here too (see my comment below). I love libraries, I get a rush just walking through the door. To work in one is sublime...it's years since I've done that.

chelle said...

Best of luck to both of you as you start your new beginning.
New beginnings are so hard, but usually so worth it :)

We adore the library!