Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Snow! Snow! Snow!

It's a winter wonderland here in Squirrel Hill, Pittsburgh. The wonder of it is the soft purple hues splattered around, then watching Ivry in his just fitting three year old snowsuit watching the tracks his stroller makes in the fresh snow.

I didn't post any pictures of its fresh impression on me; I'm sure you all have your own vivid memories, mine is just another 'image' - simple and pure - baby's first whites second to that of my childhood.

Time to fry doughnuts, make potato latkes along with my nest (nope, I'm not pregnant) reading applesauce recipes, figuring out which books are the best to read and looking forward to another writing day - trudging my suitcase in the dark snow to and from the library. Snowflakes equal progress...the thoughts consolidate and bring out the best in me... and hopefully in you too.

I miss snow angles, lifting my tongue out to catch the snow. I remember the day when I watched Charlie Brown's Christmas and Thanksgiving in one Hodge pie.

In the snow back from the library earlier this afternoon, a Chabad fellow asks me if I'm Jewish and I reply 'yes' and he produces a menorah and a small box of donuts from the heavy laden plastic bags. Knowing me, I take only the donuts. I don't take more than I need - plus I miss when my mom didn't buy me any donuts so I snuck out and bought my own from the money I stole from her deep leather bag. But this Chabad fellow is just doing me a mitzva, and I can only thank him in return and hope that he has a beautiful Chanukah. So I wish him that...again in the snow.

I told that Chabad guy that I have my own menorah since five. I don't go into detail and tell him that Mom bought it when she visited Israel for the last time ... although I want to. And then I'll be forced to take the menorah...

Last night, Ivry and I lit our first candle together in Pittsburgh. I remember him dearly at one, two and now three years old ... and the blessings just keep coming with the next rounds of snows. And I put a series of Psalms of meditative music to keep me in trance with the purple hues, and hope yet for another miracle when my mom and me can be together ... again.

2 comments:

Deb said...

This such a beautiful post. When the children were little and we had a bigger living room we had a Christmas altar with candles.

I remember Pgh snows which are much prettier in Squirrel Hill than at the corner of Woods and Blvd of the Allies.

Katharine Swan said...

Thanks for your Christmas wishes on my blog. I was going to wish you a merry Christmas, as well, but I guess it would be more appropriate to say:

Happy Chanukah!

By the way, my mom is from Pittsburgh, and some of her side of the family still lives there. I've visited so often over the years that it's probably my second favorite place in the world, after Denver.

I am also familiar with Squirrel Hill, and I agree -- it's a beautiful place!