Thursday, October 18, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #4


Thirteen Explanations behind my son's name: "Ivry David"


I think it's high time I got to some serious explanations - especially about my son and his name. I have yet to hear a name like his in Israel let alone in the Diaspora. So, here's a few for starters...


1. David is after my husband's late father who died of a stroke in 1991. He was a charismatic man, very intelligent and worked for the Israel intelligence - the Mossad; it's sad he is in heaven and can't see this adorable little gingy. Haim misses him so.


2. When I returned to work after maternity leave, my students asked me the name of our son and I replied: "Ivry" - their response: "Oh, like Ivry Lider." Many youngsters (my former students) in Israel know of Ivry Lider as the gay musician who is the leading musical voice of this pop's generation, but, many people of our generation in Israel know of a special man named David Ivry. In my opinion, he is the one who should be running the Israeli government. Aside from acting as the Israeli ambassador, he also was the ninth commander of the Israeli air force during the Persian Gulf War. You can read all about him here.


3. Ivry - in Biblical Hebrew, Ivry means 'the first'. - HaIvri.


4. I just love the sound of Ivry. Especially when he was in my tummy. It was just one of those names that had to be. When my husband suggested it, I knew it was a special match.


5. Ivry has the special blend of 'ivory' and 'eve' - two of my favorite words from the English language.


6. We wanted to have an original name; at the time there were two many 'Tomers,' 'Eyals,' and 'Alons' for us to even consider.


7. From a numerological point of view, Ivry has two syllables 'Iv - ry'. This is of special importance when a numerologist at his birth, pronounced his number of 7. She said that great things are in store for him.


8. Back to our David Ivry - he holds special relevance to our name choice as he is Israel's hero, but he is modest. No blog or web site promotion for him. This is how in essence we want our son to grow up. Do the important things for the good of humanity but, from the side drop without any fanfare.


9. Initially, I had wanted to call our munchkin 'David' - so we got the best of both worlds.


10. Since he is the first son - it is appropriate to have something of 'first' nature - thus the Biblical explanation of 'HaIvri.'


11. David the king - was a gingy like our Ivry. Well, not exactly the main reason behind his name choice, but a side bit of information.


12. From the minute I looked at the sonogram, I knew ... Ivry it is!


13. It's simply an enchanting name!
Happy TT!




5 comments:

Deb said...

What a fascinating story. You have such an interesting life.

k said...

that is so lovely!
i've thought about doing a tt about the why's of my daughter's name.
how do you pronounce ivry? since you said it combines ivory & eve i'm guessing "eev-ree"?

Pieces of Me said...

Yes, Karen. That is correct. Thank you so much for stopping by. I stopped by too.

Robin said...

I never got the connection to David Ivry before.

k said...

just put up a tt of why i named my daughter what i did!
where's your new tt? :)