Tuesday, October 9, 2007

I Had Forgotten






Now that the boxes are mainly unpacked, and Haim just started his new nifty job and the Jewish holidays behind us, there is room to grow and learn something new every day.. especially with my writing.


Beyond the glare of the computer screen, I had forgotten the candy corn kid in me... many many years back.




Well, today it happened. Of course the stores are decorated with that Halloween theme and fall's crisp in everywhere I look. I see the skeleton's and I remember the boo child who loved the Halloween invitations or the fake cobwebs and rubbery bones at the Greenwich Village House Party Store. (yes, it's there there!) But for some adult torn reason, I had overlooked that that child was also hiding in.. FOOD. Food Glorious Food!


Two nights ago, I almost got so mad at Haim for bringing a sugar one layer cake (which tasted like three layers to me) but ended up eating a few hearty slices myself. I think it was the coconut slices mixed in caramel, full of obvious cane sugar that brought me to it. For a very quick dash of a second, I stepped back into time eating candy corn, feeling the fake wool on my costume and dashed out into the hallways of Westbeth to find my friend Laura, so we could go trick or treating.




I'm very very close to home (only five hours away) but with every bite, of that cake the kid pops out - loud and strong...




Now, if I could only find a taker to finish and nibble off the cake. Too bad I don't have a teacher's room to bring it to, but oh, I'm not worried. Between the three of us, something's bound to happen...




So, what food edibles bring back the child in you?

1 comment:

chelle said...

I have never tried candy corn. Never knew it existed before we lived in the US.

For me it is little chocolates, like my Grandpa always had stashed away!