Wednesday, July 18, 2007

We Just Sold Our Car

Our terribly reliable ten year old car... that was a serious piece of history - starting out with me driving up the trecherous hills to Haifa University on and off for six years to finish my Masters, the transition from bauchelorette to married life, Haim riding alongside for some years to come, all the adventures in-between, bringing Ivry from the hospital for the first time, and yesterday we dusted Ivry's chair off from the bread crumbs in preparation to for the flight. And after all, he didn't want to get out.

We walked home Haim and I, in that bloody hot Israeli weather down the long Kiriyat Shmona road to the kibbutz. It took nearly an hour (we are so not used to that) Haim leading the way as he knows how to do, with my tired steps following knowing though we are together on this journey.

I'll miss the fact that fresh fruits and veggies are so readily available - so much so that we stopped in our tracks and picked from the long cultivated fields, ripe tomatoes and figs from the freshly watered trees. I'll miss that accessibility. There is nothing that comes close to it.

No comments: