Monday, July 16, 2007

Goodbye Home Away from Home

In exactly one week, we'll be en route to New York City. It's hard to imagine that a trip that took nearly six months to get organized is finally coming to its fruition. Our personal belongings are on a ship somewhere, the goodbye party for our son is on Wednesday, the renter are moving into our home next week - all signs of a domestic tranquil life on a kibbutz coming to a close.

The life we have lived as a small brood and even before will be missed and I'm not just talking about conveniences (that goes without saying) but the feeling of a connection to the place. Haim doesn't see the move like me ; I grew up in New York City, experienced nature in all its glory when I attended Tranquility Camp and even then, was I ever so sad to enter a congested Grand Central Station. I enjoy sipping hot peppermint tea on my kibbutz style veranda waiting for the day to get cooler, so I can put dear Ivry to bed and wait to hear the croaks of the frogs. Haim will read "The Story of Grandpa Aharon" for a few more times and I continue to sip my tea with that obnoxious noise that only I can hear.

I love my dear home away from home. But it is time to move on; we need to continue to grow and develop. We have made our choice and we are at peace with it.

One year can bring many experiences and journeys. We don't know what will bring after that; all we know is that we are on a journey on a lifetime and we are glad to be able to do it NOW.

I never thought I would be able to experience life in such a beautiful setting and I am fortunate to have spent almost six years living like this - so unprecedented and tranquil.

Yesterday was my last Yemima session. Avital, my spiritual teacher said that home is the level to bring it to your rising consciousness and thought level. If I let myself become tricked into believing that I will need a house, a steady job, a beautiful kitchen, I will forgo the possibility of enjoying a sunset and the moment of enjoyment with my small brood.

So I continue to sip the tea with gusto right up to the day we fly out.

ps. sorry guys, no pics since I am working from a friend's computer. Will continue to update you all from the States. Have a great summer!

2 comments:

Robin said...

Your sabbatical is about to begin! How exciting, I can't wait to see where it takes you. Will you be living right in the city?

I so wish we could go somewhere for a few years, especially since my job is completely portable, but professionally Jay is completely tied to Tel Aviv. We wouldn't even be able to relocate to the north, let alone find some reason for his company to send him somewhere. His industry is as local as it gets...

Deb said...

Excitement leavened with trepidation, I know it well. Traveling mercies.

Deb