Sunday, July 29, 2007

Home is Where the Heart Is


















I'm slowly learning that home can be everywhere.



It's hard though to try and feel home in a place you grew up in for so long to find that corporate real etate and celebrity lifestyle is now big business especially in my hometown of Greenwich Village.
Haim, Ivry and I took the new promenade from what used to be Pier 40 alongside the Hudson River to the new World Financial Area. We talked to a few people including a babynurse from Trinidad, and we were amazed at what we found: It's true, downtown Manhattan is really only for the very rich.

It didn't stop us though from admiring the water lilies, the Rockerfeller park, which has a play safe station with lots of kids jungle gyms, fountains galore. Ivry found his niche next to an easle; he loved drawing and erasing. Whoever designed this park, thought of practically every single detail. I don't understand why parks for instance in Northern Israel can't be designed on this user friendly level.


On this gracious note, we have yet to find the heart of our home. We have chosen Pittsburgh for its serene park setting and affordable location. But we don't know much more than that. Our lives right now are in a state of flux and transition. There are many things yet for us to do: find an apartment, get Ivry settled in a gan, connect with the JCC, find a job for Haim, etc.

My mind wants to speedily get it over and done with, my heart wants to connect to a place. Luckily we can stay in Greenwich Village with my mom, but nothing has stayed the same, only the old familiarity of her apartment.

We turn a corner where a small weeping willow tree stands and in front of me is the Statue of Liberty and I remind myself of why we came: for freedom of opportunity. And that is our blessing.








































2 comments:

Deb said...

I think you will love PGH. Take care which neighborhood though. Start reading the Post-Gazette online that will help you get to know the neighborhoods. I haven't lived for a while but if I can be a sounding board email me.

Pieces of Me said...

It's hard to know if I'll love Pittsbrugh coming from NYC. But at this stage, I'm open to trying out new lcoation. Squirrel Hill (a quiet culturally diverse lcoation) is where we will make our home in one month's time. I'd like to believe we'll be happy there. Thanks for being my sounding board. I'll definitely be in touch.