Friday, November 9, 2007

Moving Slowly

At 12:30 in the afternoon, I look at what I have written for the day. I'm afraid I haven't written much. Just a lot of rewrite, research and rewrite on my book project. It's a fully ambitious piece of writing much of it centered on my twelve years of teaching. Only I spend a lot of time moving from web page to another, kitchen, and chair again.

Nope, no writer's block. Just taking my time to feel the day, understand it so it can make sense for me. In essence, I am supposed to be on sabbatical and I'm young, but the feeling is practically weird.. I can take my time waking up in the morning, smell the cement from outside, hear the rain drops frall on the air conditioner, SLOWLY read the words on other peoples' blogs and websites and SLOWLY, try to find a connection with myself, the day, my life.

Nighttime .. and I jumped fast forward to daytime to be by myself, to claim the writing hour of the day. There are certain parts of the day that are my habitual routines, a few fiercely private. Today, I decided to take the day off for again, some serious writing, but this time to be at home. Technically, I'm supposed to be celebrating my birthday with my husband by walking and exploring parts of downtown Pittsburgh, only I can't seem to get up from the chair and leave the computer screen especially since I know I will barely have time for any research and writing and making sense of this book project this weekend.

*sigh* the price for making a cost effective decision

1 comment:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Ooh, if you've left already, I hope you had fun here in my fair city!!