Monday, May 12, 2008

A Brief Update for Those Interested

On the outside, it's just another day. Getting ready for the writing desk, living, mother to Ivry. But there's a lot going on inside, too.

Bulleted points of interest for those following my footsteps...

* Celebrated my first Mother's Day in the States was nice albeit rainy. The Sunday plans to join other Israelis at a local park was cancelled, so we went shopping for a vacuum cleaner. How fun! Now the carpet really looks clean after we threw out the second (or third) hand one.

* Our request for an additional year of absence from the kibbutz has been approved. We intend to stay in Pittsburgh for the upcoming year.

* Work is underway with coauthoring the book "Developing Literacy in K-2 English language learners." I recently checked the draft folder. 50 drafts! (and counting)

* Recently, I discovered a beautiful easy-to-walk trail out in Schenely Park last week. I came back half-energized, half in reverie. It's been a while since I escaped from the computer.

* We're thinking of renting a car for a few days. The last time I drove in the State was in 1997 and before that was in 1989. There are days when I am more adventurous than others. Truthfully, I wish there were buses that went via Raccoon State park and other beautiful nature reserves that I can only see on the Internet.

* I've signed up for a writer's coach / summer boot camp. I think it's what I need right now to take the writing to the next level. I've also applied for a community service program called Literacycorps under the Americorps division. I've got a few site interviews lined up soon. Full time position starts in September.

* Recently, we were looking at flights to Israel. I am getting a little bit homesick to see our kibbutz, family, friends, but apparently, not enough to pay $1500 just for me, let alone for Haim and Ivry. Yowza!!!!! Unfortunately, the price hikes in gas do not intend to stop anytime soon.

* I'm feeling isolated a bit so I'm glad I stepped out of my shell and contacted a few local mothers - one via my writing groups who put me in contact with others. Not sure on what is to be, but at least, it's a positive move in some direction.

* Yesterday, I bought a skirt at Target. Nice dark cream brown. Twenty bucks. Cotton. With slits. My kind of color. Earth colors.I'm wearing it now. Makes me look like a few more pounds. Probably due to the buttermilk pancakes I just ate.

* I've decided to be more accountable with the time I spend on the computer. Too much time checking emails! So after writing in this blog entry, I am going to hold myself accountable for the writing/Internet time. A schedule's a powerful thing!


Anyhow, have a great week, folks! See you in the 'burgh'...

3 comments:

Robin said...

Good to hear that the writing project is coming together now, and that you're starting to feel more settled and connected in Pittsburgh.

We'll keep the home fires burning in the meantime.

Doug Cloud said...

As a writer myself I know it is very important to take a break from the typewriter (or computer) and break the isolation with a trip to friends, the folks, or just shopping. I can get so focused in the process that I totally forget the rest of the world.

hmjenck said...

I finally had a moment to find you at your new blog site. It's nice! Life sounds good - moving on into some interesting projects.